Cane sugar free, egg free, wheat free
Makes approx. 16 muesli bars
– 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
– 1 cup chopped cashews
– 1/2 cup slivered almonds
– 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
– 3/4 cup honey
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract concentrate
– 1/4 teaspoon rock/sea salt
– 1 cup puffed brown rice
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, fan forced. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
2. Spread oats, cashews and almonds onto tray. Toast in the oven for 7 minutes. Add coconut and toss well then toast for a further 6-8 minutes (until coconut is golden).
3. Meanwhile, combine honey, butter, extract and salt in a small saucepan and place over meadium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until butter is melted. Take off heat and set aside.
4. Once oat mixture is done, remove from oven and reduce heat to 140 degrees, fan forced. Combine oat mixture, honey mixture and puffed rice in a large bowl and mix well, but gently, with a wooden spoon (reserve foil from tray).
5. Use the reserved foil to line a slice tray, then spray with olive oil cooking spray. Tip muesli bar mixture into the slice tin and spread evenly with a wooden spoon (don’t press down to hard). Bake for 20 minutes (once heat is reduced to 140 degrees, fan forced). Remove from oven and cool completely (1 1/2 hrs approx.) before removing from tin and cutting with a large, sharp knife into rectangles.
6. Store muesli bars in a single layer (they will stick together if in multiple layers) in an airtight container for up to a week.
– Any nuts may be substituted in this recipe as long as dry to wet quantities are kept the same
– Make sure oven is fully preheated before toasting nuts otherwise the initial blast of heat will burn them