Cane sugar free
Makes 5 Cups
– 2.5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
– 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
– 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
– 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
– 1/4 cup mixed pumpkin and pepita seeds
– 1/4 cup chia seeds
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
– 1/4 cup water
– 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
– Olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 140 degrees celsius fanforced
2. Lightly spray a large roasting pan or large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil spray, line with baking paper and lightly spray again.
3. Combine oats, coconut, walnuts, pecans, seeds and cinnamon in a large bowl. Combine syrup, water and oil in a small bowl and pour over the oat mixture; stir until well combined. Spread the mixture into the large roasting pan or large rimmed baking sheet.
4. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Granola is ready when golden brown and crispy. Let cool completely before storing.
– Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Make this recipe your own:
– Different nuts and seeds can be used to suit taste or what’s in your cupboard
– Unsweetened dried fruits can be added after baking and cooling such as sultanas, raisins, cranberries, apples, apricots etc (about 1/2 a cup for this recipe)
– Brown rice puffs could replace some of the oats if desired
– Honey could replace the maple syrup
– Experiment with healthy oils such as coconut oil, macadamia nut oil or flaxseed oil instead of grapeseed oil
– Serve with your choice of milk and fresh fruit
– Serve with yoghurt and fresh fruit or as a simple yoghurt topping